Measgure angular speed (angular movement) with the L3GD20 gyroscop
The L3GD20 from ST Microelectronics is a low-power 3 axis angular rate sensor using the MEMS technology. This sensor expose an I2C interface.
The board expose breakout connexions and an UEXT connector for easier connection on host board (having UEXT connector).
This sensor should be put in the IMU family as it measure the rotation speed in degrees-per-second (dps). It can be used to detect spatial rotation of an object. By example, it can detect a fly rotating on himself to get down toward the ground. Once the rotation done and fly still descending to the ground, the sensor returns NO degrees-per-second change (since the fly is not rotating anymore).
- MEMS motion sensor: three-axis digital output gyroscope
- Three selectable full scales (250/500/2000 dps)
- UEXT connector
- I2C interface located on the UEXT connector
- SPI interface led to easy-to-access pin holes
- 16 bit-rate value data output
- 8-bit temperature data output
- Two digital output lines (interrupt and data ready)
- Integrated low- and high-pass filters with use selectable bandwidth
- Wide supply voltage: 2.4 V to 3.6 V
- Low voltage-compatible IOs (1.8 V)
- Embedded power-down and sleep mode
- Embedded temperature sensor
- Embedded FIFO
- High shock survivability
- Extended operating temperature range (-40°C to +85°C)
- Dimensions: 25.3x30.5mm (max size including the connector)
- L3GD20TR datasheet (pdf)