Assembled 3pi+ 32U4 Robot in Turtle edition with 75:1 motors
The 3pi+ 32U4 is a complete robot from Pololu USA. It is a high-performance mobile platform properled by an Arduino-compatible ATmega32U4 MCU.
This robotic solution includes many features like:
- dual quadrature encoders for closed-loop speed or position control,
- line sensors,
- front bump sensors,
- a full IMU: 3-axis accelerometer, magnetometer, and gyro
The whole packet into a robot that fits in your hand. Just plug it and start programming it.
This product is the Turtle Edition made for learning and experiment with robotic. The Turtle edition does fit 75:1 Micro Metal Gearmotors (LP 6V) and offers the best battery lifetime. The maximum robot speed is ~0.4 m/s, making it appropriate for application requiring precise positionning, robots coordination et robotic courses. Slowest motions also means a very accurate control on the speed then on the positionning.
The 3pi+ 32U4 is a high-performance, user-programmable and versatile robot that measures just 9.7 cm diameter. The ATmega32U4 AVR microcontroller beating at the heart of the robot is a very popular MCU used on many Arduino compatible plateform. The micro-B USB interface is used to program and debug your software (the ships preloaded with an Arduino-compatible bootloader).
A software add-on is available that makes it easy to program the robot from the Arduino environment. Pololu also provides Arduino libraries and examples to get started.
Advanced users can customize the robot with additional peripherals! The robot’s power rails, power system controls, and microcontroller’s I/O lines are available through breakouts pads.
The 3pi+ propeler used 2 H-bridge motor drivers and fits a variety of integrated sensors (front bumper, quadrature encoders, 3-axis accelerometer, gyro, magnetometer, 5 downward-facing reflectance sensors). Le reflectance sensor can be used to follow lines or make edge detection.
The 3pi+ also fits on-board user interface with 3 pushbuttons, a LCD, a buzzer and LEDs indicators.
On the power side: the electronic board power the motors at constant 8V. As the motor voltage is independent of the battery charge then the motors speed will not vary with the battery voltage).
The 3pi+ 32U4 offers many major improvements over the original 3pi, including:
- ATmega32U4 microcontroller can be programmed directly through USB.
- Quadrature encoders allow fine speed control and closed-loop control (position/speed control)
- Full 9-axis IMU (three-axis gyro, accelerometer, and compass)
- Bottom-loading battery - always accessible even with added hardware on top.
- Full wrap-around bumper (protected from collisions)
- Two bump sensors on the front
To use this product, you will need additional materials:
- 4x AAA battery - it works with Alcaline and NiMH batteries
- 1x MicroUSB cable for programming and debugging.