The best accuracy temperature sensor with the RTD PT100 (platinum based)
If you need for a precision temperature sensor then you'll meet the best product... nothing can beat the Platinum RTD sensors. The Resistance temperature detector (RTD for short) are temperature sensors that contains a resistor which varies with the temperature changes (just like a thermistor). However, in a PT100 sensor, a small section of Platinium is used used to create a resistance of 100 ohms at 0°C. This is why such sensor are called PT100.
Compared to thermistors (NTC), the PTxxx sensors are much most precise and offre quite stable measurement. PT100 are used for many years in the temperature measurement for laboratory and industrial processes. The Platinum temperature sensor have excellent reputation for their accuracy (better than thermocouples), repeatability, and stability. Aside that, they are more expensive than thermistors (or thermocouple).
This high-temperature PT100 sensor is equipped with an stainless steel shield that is good for up to 550°C.
- Resistor material is Platinum. The value of 100 ohm at 0°C
- Based on resistance measurement principles
- Platinum has a positive resistance temperature factor. The resistance rise when the temperature increase
- Resistance varies with the temperature: 0.385 Ohms/°C nominal
- High accuracy and stability compared to thermocouples, thermistors
For each order, you will receive a three wires RTD sensor. Two of the wires are connected to the platinum resistor. The third wire is also connected to one end of the PT100. If the RTD amplifier supports 3-wire sensors, it will drive the resistor with the first two wires, and measure the voltage differences so that it can subtract any voltage drop from the wires. If your RTD amplifier only has 2-wire support simply leave the third wire disconnected.
Cable Technical specs:
- Stainless steel tube: 4mm diameter by ~30mm long (approximative)
- Stainless tube contains a PT100 temperature sensor
- Cable: ~1m (100cm) long
- 3 wires with terminal ends
PT100 technical specs:
- Temperature range: -200 to 550°C
- Accuracy: ±0.5°C from -10°C to +85°C
- Interface: 3 wires