VentilaPi4 : offer a quiet cooler to your Raspberry-Pi, good for temperature and good for your ears
We all know, the Raspberry-Pi 3 and 4 heat... not really embarrassing since they can control their frequency to limit overheating to 85°C (it's the famous Throttling).
On the other hand, if we need a respondent, taking advantage of 100% of resources is important... so we must cool the Pi efficiently.
Here is the VentilaPi4 from Garatronic, which shows that they have thought a little more than our Chinese friends! Long live the French Tech!
The errors of the competition
- So there is an universal rule, the smaller it is and the more it screams! The fans are no exceptions... the smaller they are and the more they make noise, unplaisant moreover with a range of frequency pulling in the treble. Our Chinese friends put all mini-fans but it isn't they who have to endure their hissing !
- No notion of fluid mechanics! If the air comes in, it must come out as freely as possible! A fan in a closed oven and well this makes a rotary oven.
- The air will always follow the path of least resistance... So in a closed case with an opening for the GPIO next to the fan is strictly useless. The air will exit immediately through the GPIO opening. The fan will not refresh much!
- Acrylic is a thermal insulator. Many cases propose to put the Pi4 in an acrylic case, placed directly on a plate of acrylic and a pseudo ventilation at the top. Guaranteed barbecue effect for Pi... It will cook from below!
How is the VentilaPi4 better?
- To begin, he is great! So it whistles less... uh not at all!
- Than, as it is larger, it can also turn more slowly (3000 rpm) while ensuring sufficient air flow to cool the Pi... So it is very silent.
- It's used without case... so no problems of fluidity and the whole board is refreshed.
- Garatronic propose booster feet to print (nut-holder feet, for free download). This allows to elevate the board and avoid the formation of a thermal cushion under the board.
- It is possible to use the fan with a pHat board (half-size) placed above. This allows to effectively cool the Pi without depriving GPIO extension.
Not suitable for full HAT, in this case, opt for a GPIO ribbon or a GPIO replicator.
- No maxi-super-large radiator... so no interference with the WiFi interface.
Garatronichas also tested the VentilaPi4 with a Pi4 in its case (the case base only). The temperature remains stable at ~52°C despite holding the 4 cores at 100% load for more than 30 minutes!
Tests and videos
The VentilaPi4 has of course been tested and offers efficient cooling while remaining remarkably quiet (noise barely noticeable) while ensuring more than 35000 hours of operation (+4 years).
Without active cooling, a Pi4 with open case easily mounts at 50~60°C off load (desktop display, room temp. 23°C).
The use of VentilaPi4 allows to return to 40°C after a few minutes (it is necessary to evacuate the heat accumulated in the board), almost 20°C less... temperature that will be maintained thanks to a sufficient air flow.
The consumption is 60 to 70mA at 5V with a maximum temperature of 40°C off load, 52°C full load (room temperature=23°C).
In stress test with 30 minutes of calculation on prime numbers (4 cores at 100%), the temperature is max 52°C without case (55°C with the official case, without cover).
Here are some suggestions, from MC Hobby, for optimal cooling.
- Use the nut-holders offered for download by Garatronic. the underside of the board also needs air.
- Minimize, as much as possible, obstacles to the free flow of air.
- Don't use a case if this is possible (avoid creating an oven effect).
- When mounting VESA, place the GPIO down (warm air rises naturally, don't try to push it to "unnatural").
For each order, you receive an assembled VentilaPi4, screws (including spacers), and GPIO connector. No need to weld, the GPIO connector is inserted in the board :-)
Raspberry-Pi not included. Nut-holders (feet to be printed) are not included but available for free download.
The STL file of the nut-holders (recommended use) is available here.
If you are not able to print it, this product is also available for sale here.