Amplified MP3 Shield - Music Maker 3W Stéréo - VS1053
MP3 Shield from AdaFruit - Music Maker
- For Arduino
- Amplified 2x3W
- VS1053 Chipset
- Playback: MP3, AAC, Ogg Vorbis, WMA, MIDI, FLAC, WAV (PCM et ADPCM)
- Record: WAV (PCM) et compressed Ogg Vorbis
- microSD connector
- Digital control for volume, tremble, bass
- Special MIDI mode
Payments are secured by LyraCollect, a French payment collection company.
It is possible to delivered to your home, to a pick-up point or picked up by appointment at MCHobby
We prepare, pack and ship your orders with great respect and care.
Control an amplified MP3, OGG, ... media player with Arduino Uno
Play all the audio files you want on your Arduino with this MP3 shield (Music Maker) produced by AdaFruit. This powerful extension uses a VS1053 circuit, an encoding/decoding chip (codec) capable of decoding a wide variety of audio formats such as MP3, AAC, Ogg Vorbis, WMA, MIDI, FLAC, WAV (PCM and ADPCM). The shield can also be used to make audio recordings in compressed WAV (PCM) and Ogg Vorbis format. You can also adjust the bass, tremolo and volume (digital control).
All these features are implemented through a SPI "featherweight" interface. Therefore, all Arduinos are able to play audio files from the SD card. You can also start the chip by activating a special MIDI mode, which allows you to read 'classic' MIDI data from an Arduino pin at a rate of 31250Kbaud (and act as a synth/drum machine) - the chip contains dozens samples and batteries! This chip is a small wonder but it is difficult to weld while requiring many additional components, that's why the arrival of the MP3 shield is more than a big news. It is perfect for making audio projects with Arduino Uno, Leonardo or Mega.
This version of the shield includes a 3W stereo amplifier (3W per channel) capable of driving 4 or 8 Ohms speakers. This is the same amplifier used by the TS2012 breakout from AdaFruit. It's a Class D amplifier that produces good audio and is conscientious about its energy consumption (perfect attitude for autonomous projects using batteries or rechargeable batteries). The volume control is supported by the circuit VS1053. There is also a version of the Music Maker Shield without an amplifier.
We think this shield is the best MP3 player you can get for such a price. Here are some key specifications:
- Implements the VS1053B codec circuit - decode Ogg Vorbis, MP3/MP2/MP1, MP4, AAC, WMA, FLAC, WAV/PCM, MIDI. Encode Ogg or WAV/PCM format
- Stereo audio output with good audio filtering capabilities and a ground reference (which allows you to connect this shield to a headset, audio system or other speaker with built-in amplifier.
- 7 GPIO (Extra general input/output) whose status can be read or modified through the Arduino library. This allows you to add LEDs or buttons to your MP3 project.
- A micro SD card reader supporting cards formatted in FAT16/FAT32 of 64Mb and more.
- A 3.3/5V logic level converter for SD card and MP3 components.
- Works with Arduino Uno, Mega or Leonardo
- Includes a "Midi machine" synth/drum with dozens of instruments.
- Many other pins in breakout for card detection and microphone input.
- Dimensions: 27.7mm x 58.1mm
See also the following documents:
- VS1053 data sheet (Codec Chip)
- Details about Ogg Vorbis encoder/recorder
- Technical notes for connecting analog outputs
Each shield is delivered fully assembled and tested, with a row of pinHeader (2.54mm) and a female ICSP 2x3 pin connector.
This product contains only the MP3 shield amplifier; the Arduino, SD card, headset and speaker are not included.
A small welding operation will be necessary to place the connectors on the shield.
- Place pinHeader sections on the Arduino female connectors.
- Place the ICSP connector (2x3-pin) on your Arduino board ,
- Then place the shield on the connectors (the connectors must all go through the holes of the shield)
- Weld the pins on the shield (heat each pin+pad for 2 seconds before depositing a weld spot).
- MP3 Shield library for Arduino (AdaFruit)
While waiting for the availability of a tutorial for this MP3 shield VS1053, you can look at the tutorial of Breakout MP3 VS1053 which is the little brother of the MP3 shield. The library and examples are usable for the MP3 shield.
- AdaFruit tutorial on Breakout MP3 VS1053 (Adafruit, English)
- Midi: Collin's Lab (AdaFruit, English)
Discover the power offered by Midi and Music Maker Shield interfaces.