Add a really small printer to any microcontroller project with this very cute thermal printer (Thermal receipt printer), they're what you get when you go to the cash dispenser or store.
Now you can embed a little printer of your own project or into an enclosure. This printer is ideal for interfacing with a microcontroller or computer, as you just plug it in via USB or TTL Serial to print text, barcodes, bitmap graphics, even a QR code!
This package comes with a Mini Thermal Receipt Printer, a USB cable, a JST cable, and a 4-pin TTL cable. One 10m roll of thermal paper is also included! The printer uses very common 57mm wide thermal paper, and it can fit up to 10m of paper in the bay at once with a diameter of ≤ 30mm. The 10m long, 57mm wide Thermal Paper Roll in our store works perfectly!
This printer is really nice because its easy to make Bold, underline, inverted text, left/center/right justification, variable line spacing, 11 differents barcodes in standard formats (adjustable height). The printer can even print custom bitmap graphics.
You will need a 5 to 9V regulated power supply (able to provide 1.5A or more during the high-current print) - our 5V 2A switching power supply will work very nicely.
If you are driving this printer via USB then you will also need to provide a separate power supply (The printer cannot be powered over the USB cable).
As usual, we wouldn't leave you with a datasheet and a "good luck!" - Adafruit propose a full tutorial and matching Arduino library that demonstrates the following:
- Printing text in various size: small, medium, large
- Bold Text - Underline text
- Inverted text
- Variable line spacing
- Justification: Left, center, right
- Standard barcodes formats: UPC A, UPC E, EAN13, EAN8, CODE39, I25, CODEBAR, CODE93, CODE128, CODE11 and MSI - with adjustable barcode height
- Custom monochrome bitmap graphics!
- How to include a QR code
If you're using the built-in USB chip instead of TTL serial, you can use the Python example code proposed by Adafruit.
- Requires ~57 wide paper roll
- Paper roll diameter: ≤ 30mm
- Paper roll length: 10m
- Power Voltage: 5~9V
- Connectors: 9600 baud TTL or USB
- Windows XP/Vista/7/8 or MacOS X 10.9 to 10.11 PL2303 USB drivers. Newer Mac drivers available @ Prolific
- Printing Speed: 25-70mm/s
- Resolution: 8 dots/mm. 384 dots/line
- Barcode support: EAN13, EAN8, Code39, Code93, Code128, ITF, Codebar, UPC-A, UPC-E, QRCode, PDF417
- Color: Black
- Printer Dimensions: 58mm x 82mm x 44.3mm