ESP32: A powerful WiFi & Bluetooth microcontroler
The HUZZAH32 is a Feather board the ESP32 (using the official WROOM32). The board include all usual Feather goodies like:
- USB-to-Serial converter,
- automatic reset for the bootloader,
- Lithium Ion/Polymer charger
- All of the GPIOs brought out (can be used with all the Adafruit's Feather Wings, the Feather expansion boards).
MC Hobby propose many board of the Feather family, please check this category.
The WROOM32 module assembled on the Feather board contains:
- A dual-core ESP32 chip,
- 4 MB of SPI Flash,
- A tuned antenna,
- And all the passives component needed to take advantage of this powerful processor.
The ESP32 supports the WiFi and Bluetooth Classic/BLE. This board is just perfect for any project involving wireless or Internet connectivity.
This HUZZA32 is a Feather board so you can take advantage of the 50+ FeatherWing and Feather eco-system proposed by Adafruit Industries. Please visit the Feather category on the shop.
The ESP32 is a perfect upgrade from the very popular ESP8266.
In comparison, the ESP32 has:
- many more GPIO,
- A lot of analog inputs,
- two analog outputs,
- multiple extra peripherals (like a spare UART),
- two cores so you don't have to yield to the WiFi manager,
- much higher-speed processor,
For each order, you will receive a fully assembled and tested HUZZA32. With the USB interface you can quickly use the ESP32 with the Arduino IDE or the low-level ESP32 SDK. The board also include a section of pinHeader to solder on the board before plug-in it on a breadboard.
Lipoly battery and USB cable not included (but we do have lots of options on the WebShop!)
ESP32 for developers
The ESP32 is still targeted to developers. The peripherals are not all fully documented with example code. Bugs may exists or still to be found and fixed.
Adafruit produce large effort to make their Featherwings working under Arduino IDE, so you can expect the I2C, SPI and analog reads to work properly. The other elements are still under development.
So the ESP32 feather board is recommend to makers having some experience with microcontroller programming. This board is not recommended for a a first experience development board.
You can find the full ESP32 specifications in this Espressif document. The ESP32 offers:
- Microcontroller: Tensilica LX6 Dual Core, 240 MHz, 600 DMIPS
- SRAM: 520 KB
- FLASH: 4 MByte flash include in the ESP32-WROOM32 module
- WiFi: 802.11b/g/n HT40 Wi-Fi transceiver, baseband, stack and LWIP
- Bluetooth: dual mode Bluetooth (classic and BLE)
- On-board PCB antenna
- Analog Amplifier with ultra-low noise
- Hall sensor
- 10x capacitive touch interface
- 3 x UARTs
- two UART are configured by default in the Feather Arduino IDE support
- one UART is used (reserved) for bootloading/debug
- 3 x SPI : only one is configured by default in the Feather Arduino IDE support
- 2 x I2C : only one is configured by default in the Feather Arduino IDE support
- 12 x ADC input channels to read analog voltage
- 2 x DAC output channels to generate analog output voltage
- 2 x I2S Audio
- 32 kHz crystal oscillator
- All GPIO pin support PWM/timer input/output
- SDIO master/slave 50 MHz
- SD-card interface support
- OpenOCD debug interface with 32 kB TRAX buffer