Adafruit QT Py ESP32-S2 - WiFi development board with StemmaQt / Qwiic
The ESP32 is one of the favorite WiFi microcontroler in the Maker area here is an improved ESP32-S2 development plateform on a micro board fitted with Qwiic/StemmaQt chainable I2C port togheter with lot of Flash storage and RAM memory. This board is named Qt Py because of the Qt (StemmaQt/Qwiic) connector and the Python bringing their possibilite to your next IoT project.
The ESP32-S2 is a highly-integrated, low-power, 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi System-on-Chip (SoC) from expressif. The S2 includes a built-in native USB with some other new technologies like Time of Flight distance measurements. Thank to a properly designed power circuitery and RF antenna, this SoC is an great choice for a large variety of application related to the IoT (Internet of Things), wearable electronics, communicating objet and smart homes.
The QT Py ESP32-S2 is a single core MCU @ 240 MHz. Is is not as fast as the big fat dual core ESP32. The ESP32-S2 doesn't have Bluetooth support instead, it includes the a native USB support which unlocks the advanced interfacing! This ESP32-S2 mini board comes with 4 MB flash and 2 MB PSRAM allowing massive processing on this plateform. Need to load and parse a massive JSON file? No problem, this board have lot of RAM!
Thanks to the Qt/Qwiic connector you can plug and play many kind of I2C sensors, displays, OLEDs! As the I2C bus can be shared among sensors then it is possible to chain sensors over the single connector fitted on the board. This Qt connector allows to use SparkFun Qwiic or STEMMA QT board with it you don't even need to solder! Just use a JST-SH 4 poles cable (or connector). Notes that Seeed Grove I2C boards will also work with appropriate adapter cable.
A Neopixel RGB LED (with controllable power pin to allow for ultra-low-power usage) can be used to offers user feedback. The a reset button can be used to restart your program (or entering the bootloader) and a button on GPIO 0 can be used as user Input (or entering the ROM bootloader at start).
The QT Py ESP32-S2 have the same pinout and shape that Seeed Xiao. The castellated pads can be used to solder the board directly on a custom designed PCB (opening must be done for board components). In addition to the QT connector, we also added an RGB NeoPixel (with controllable power pin to allow for ultra-low-power usage), a reset button (great for restarting your program or entering the bootloader) and a button on GPIO 0 for entering the ROM bootloader or for user input
Runs Arduino like a dream, and CircuitPython projects are fantastically fun.
Warning: this hardware requires adéquate knowledge about certification and RF Spectrum usage. See the "Evaluation board" notice.
- Seeed Xiao form-factor and pin-out
- USB Type C connector - see this adapter will come in handy!
- ESP32-S2 240MHz Tensilica processor - the next generation of ESP32, now with native USB so it can act like a keyboard/mouse, MIDI device, disk drive, etc!
- 4 MB Flash
- 2 MB PSRAM
- Native USB supported by every OS - can be used in Arduino or CircuitPython as USB serial console, MIDI, Keyboard/Mouse HID, even a little disk drive for storing Python scripts.
- Arduino IDE, MicroPython or CircuitPython
- Built-in RGB NeoPixel LED with power control to reduce quiescent power in deep sleep
- Battery input pads on underside with diode protection for external battery packs up to 6V input
- 13 GPIO pins:
- 11 pins: breadboard friendly, 2 more on QT connector
- 10x analog input @ 12-bits (1-1024). SPI high speed pads do not have analog inputs.
- 1x 8-bit analog output DAC
- 11x PWM outputs (on any pin)
- Two I2C ports, one on the breakout pads, and another with STEMMA QT plug-n-play connector
- Hardware UART
- Hardware SPI on the high speed SPI peripheral pins
- Hardware I2S on any pins
- 5 x Capacitive Touch (no additional components required)
- AP2112 regulator: 3.3V regulator with 600mA peak output (datasheet)
- Light sleep at 2~4mA, deep sleep at ~70uA
- Reset switch
- Boot0 button for entering bootloader mode
- Size: 21.8 x 17.9mm (Height:5.7mm)
- Weight: 2.1 gr
Evaluation board/Important notice
Adafruit Industries LLC provides the enclosed product(s) under the following conditions:
This evaluation board/kit/module is intended for use for ENGINEERING DEVELOPMENT, DEMONSTRATION OR EVALUATION PURPOSES ONLY and is not considered by Adafruit LLC to be finished end-product fit for general consumer use. Persons handling the product must have electronics training and observe good engineering practice standards. As such the goods being provided are not intended to be complete in terms of required design-, marketing-, and/or manufacturing related protective considerations, including product safety and environmental measures typically found in the products that incorporate such semiconductor components or circuit boards. This evaluation board/kit/module does not fall within the scope of the European Union directives regarding electromagnetic compatibility, FCC, CE or UL and therefore may not meet the technical requirements of these directives or other related documents.
The user assumes all responsibility and liability for proper and safe handling of the goods. Further the user indemnifies Adafruit Industries or MC Hobby SPRL from all claims arising from the handling or use of the goods. Due to the open construction of the product, it's the user responsibility to take any and all appropriate precautions with regard to electrostatic discharge, conducted and radiated emissions.
EXCEPT TO THE EXTENT OF THE INDEMNITY SET FORTH ABOVE NEITHER PARTY SHALL BE LIABLE TO THE OTHER FOR ANY INDIRECT SPECIAL INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES.