The standard HD44780 displays are really useful for creating standalone projects.
They can easily interface with numerous platforms such as Arduino and Raspberry.
For Arduinists, they'll learn with pleasure that the environment offers the LiquidCrystal library (pre-installed) which makes it possible to take care of this material with great ease.
- 2 lines of 16 characters each
- Text in white, blue background
- Connector with impaction of 2.54mm, so it can fit into a breadboard (with the use of a pinHeader)
- The pins are noted on the back of the LCD display. This really makes wiring easier.
- The backlight uses an LED whose intensity can be controlled via a resistor (potentiometer) or a PWM signal.
LED backlight consumes significantly less energy than an electroluminescent backlight (much more common)
- Can be fully controlled using 6 digital pins! (any analog/digital pin on your Arduino can be used)
- Contains the "character set" allowing to render English/Japanese texts, see the HD44780 datasheet for all the "character set" available.
- Has 8 extra characters to easily create Glyphs (mini-images), symbols or international characters.
- Extra: supplied with the contrast adjustment potentiometer and a row of pinHeaders.