22 Feb. 2020 : this product is no longer sold by MCHobby because it does not have a European DoC compliance document.
WiFi module for nano-computers
Free your Internet projects from the cable networks by adding a WiFi module. Enjoy the benefits offered by the USB port of your Raspberry-Pi and Beagle Bone module by adding a reliable and affordable wireless internet connection. Among the many modules tested, this one works with the Pi and Beagle Bone without the need for kernel recompilation. This module is supported by Angstrom Beagle Bone installations (provided by MC Hobby) and by Adafruit Occidentalis distribution for Raspberry-Pi (NB: Occidentalis is a derivative of Raspbian Wheezy).
You will get a wireless internet connection in 10 minutes! Works with 802.11b/g/n WiFi networks.
If you are using a Beagle Bone: given the high power consumption required by WiFi, a 5V 2A adapter is needed to power the Beagle Bone and WiFi. Without additional power, you could expect instability, strange behavior and crash system! Adafruit offers a tutorial to use this module with Beagle Bone!
If you are using a Raspberry-Pi: the Raspbian Wheezy distribution doesn't support this module directly. However, there is an easy-to-use script published on RaspberryPi.org to update Kernel for this module! The Occidentalis distribution of Adafruit already has support for this module.
In order to avoid any misunderstanding...
This module has been specially selected to operate with the products/electronic hacking platform sold by MC Hobby and not to offer an alternative of computer hardware "of everyday life" that you will also find in major retailers. Although logically compatible with most computer systems and operating systems, the purpose of this product sold by MC Hobby is not to end up in your laptop... We will be delighted to learn that you would be satisfied in such circumstances but we do not wish to be embarked on problems of "pure computer support" in the opposite case. Support that is of course offered by large distribution channels. Please consider if the destination of this purchase should be different from the one we have planned.
- Chipset RTl8192/8188CUS
- Exceeds 7mm out of the USB port
- Weight: 2.17g
- Wireless standard: IEEE 802.11n (draft), IEEE 802.11g, IEEE 802.11b
- Host interface: high speed USB2.0/1.1 interface.
- Data rate: 802.11n: up to 150Mbps (reception rate) and up to 150Mbps (transmission rate) , 802.11g: 54 / 48 / 36 / 24 / 18/ 12 / 9 / 6 Mbps with automatic rate adaptation (auto fallback), 802.11b: 11 / 5.5 / 2 / 1 Mbps auto fallback
- Frequency bands: 2.4GHz ISM (Industrial Scientific Medical)
- Chipset: Realtek
- RF frequencies: 2412 ~ 2462 MHz (North America), 2412 ~ 2472 MHz (Europe), 2412 ~ 2484 MHz (Japan)
- Radio channels: 1 ~ 14 channels (Universal Domain Selection)
- Coverage: Up to 3 times that provided by the 802.11g standard
- Antenna type: built-in antenna
- Roaming: Total mobility and transparency of the transition from one cell to another
- RF output power: 13 ~17 dBm (Typical)
- Modulation: 11n: BPSK, QPSK, 16QAM, 64QAM with OFDM, 11g: BPSK, QPSK, 16QAM, 64QAM, OFDM, 11b: DQPSK, DBPSK, DSSS, CCK
- Encryption: 64/128-bit WEP Encryption. WPA, WPA-PSK, WPA2, WPA2-PSK. TKIP/AES
- Networks: Auto-switch to use 802.11n or 802.11g or 802.11b mode
- Ad-Hoc support, WLAN network Infrastructure, Wireless roaming. Data rate auto fall-back under noisy environment or longer range distance. Management of contact point profiles.
- Configuration and management: installation and configuration, Management tools for 2000 / XP/ Vista. Thank you for reading our "important note" on the product sheet.
- Media access: PCSMA/CA access protocol with ACK
- LED indicator: Link/Active (green)
- Operating temperature: 0°C to 40°C
- Storage temperature: -20°C to 75°C
- Operating humidity: 10% ~ 90% (without condensation)
- Storage humidity: 5% ~ 95% (without condensation)
- Compliance with regulations: FCC (USA), CE Mark (Europe), RoHS Compliant, Wi-Fi Compliant
- Requirement: USB 2.0 port available.